Calvinism and Arminianism (Explained by Reformed Theologian Guillaume Bignon)

http://acts17.net
Calvinists and Arminians agree on a number of theological issues, but they differ in important ways on the doctrines of predestination and election. Proponents of Arminianism maintain that God wants everyone to be saved, though he gives humans the free will to reject his grace. Defenders of Calvinism hold that God’s will is irresistible and that he only wants some to be saved.

In this interview, Reformed theologian (and former atheist) Guillaume Bignon explains the basic differences between Calvinism and Arminianism.

Like all theists, Guillaume is just another example of someone trying to make sense of utter nonsense.

I have heard it said that as we approach the gates of heaven, we see the words in large letters “Whosoever will may come” (i.e. the invitation of Christ to all mankind). However as we walk through the gates and look back then the words written on the other side are “Elect and Precious”

I understand how the whole TULIP system COULD be biblical…I myself believe in the last two pillars (I and P) and possibly still one day T,U and L but still need more evidence for these. What I absolutely hate is how some Calvinists jump to the conclusion that God determines every single human act in history. I wonder if the logical conclusion of this is that make God the most evil person ever.

Not only would every heinous crime such as rape and murder have to be forordained by God but even the percise graphic details of every heinous crime ever committed???

How could the most moral person ever have the nerve to plan out every single atrocity to the slightest detail…and then on top of that every single word uttered regardless of how stupid, like every stupid word said by horny teenagers? I mean come on! THIS HAS TO BE PURE FREE WILL!!!

No one reads the Bible and comes away with a Calvinist view. It’s by reading books by ““people smarter than you”” that you become a Calvinist.

I hope you are educated enough not to accept either of these doctrines of men!

I do not envy the woman married to him.

Calvinisme destroyed a lot of art.

Foreknowledge does not mean predestination.

Calvinism ignores God’s gift of free will and His grace and gift of salvation to all that believe and accept Him as their Lord and savior. It’s a real slap in the face of God. Jesus died “for whoever believes”, not “whoever I choose.” It’s why I’ll never be a Calvinist.

Is this similar to where Paul warned against division in the church ie ‘I follow Calvin’, ‘I follow Arminius’? Jesus warned the Pharisees that their traditions nullified the word of God and when we start following different church traditions don’t we rob God’s Word of it’s power to help us attain the unity of the faith? We should view Jesus and salvation as Paul and the apostles did, through the lens of the Old Testament and not through our church traditions. The main reason for denominations today is that Christians aren’t taught the OT and therefore don’t know the OT and are instead spoon-fed their understanding of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ from convenient theological labels that merely satisfy itching ears. TBH don’t fully understand the Calvin/Arminius positions on salvation but I do know that Israel’s response to the redemptive purposes of God through the Law is held up as an example and warning to us who are responding to the redemptive purposes of God through Jesus Christ. This is where Paul tells Timothy(and us!) we are to gain wisdom on salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.

Yes the Calvinist god is merciful by punishing by torture those he forced to commit the very sins he came up with! Good job Sproul, Calvin, MacArthur, Washer, Piper. No wonder millions flock to the merciful Calvin god!

The real God of Creation said this of His love for all man and the Created Universe.
Psalms 145:9 The Lord is good to ALL; he has compassion on ALL he has made.
Little different from the evil cruel god of calvinism isn’t it?

The real Jesus said in John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

1 Timothy 2 : 3-6 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people.

Calvinist god followers say that their god blinds the eyes of the Non-elect so they cannot see or understand the gospel. Yet it is they who have been blinded by Satan. Satan has blinded the eyes of those who are perishing. Satan leads the whole World astray.
Nothing makes people hate God faster than Calvinism.
Nothing turns people into Atheists faster than Calvinism!
Nothing kills hope and love faster than Calvinism!
Yet they are wise in their own eyes and lost in their souls and hearts.They gather around themselves those who speak the same lie!
Wake up and turn to God who loves you . "Repent and be Baptized before your life is spent and there is no more hope for you!
This can be the day of your salvation.
In Love!

9:08 - “which ones are more convincing”

By that statement, you already concede to libertarian free will :smiley:

Calvinism had all the answers for me. It’s a great comfort, and nearly all of the accusations levied at reformed people are inaccurate, and more representative of “hyper-Calvinism”.

I’m not sure how the thought that God’s sovereignty thwarts man’s free will came to be. The God of the universe who knew everything before the beginning of the world, the God who created everything and intimately knows each person, can clearly make His will come about through people’s free choices. Romans 8:28 also tells us that God can redeem anything that we do “wrong,” any mistake we make can be redeemed and re-purposed to ultimately bring God’s will to fruition. The Calvinist view is Biblical, the Bible is full of passages about God’s election of people and predestination. Romans 8 includes that too.

His name makes me want filet mignon.

God has not chosen his elect? Is this statement backed up by scripture?

I’m a Calvinist but I know that Calvinism and any other system is insufficient to fully expound on God’s working of salvation in the reprobate, but it is the better of all other systems. It diminishes man’s conceit and brings God all praise. God has intentionally left us with something we can’t figure out and we must be humble enough to accept our finitude.

I should have known this Frenchman would follow the teachings of his compatriot. XD

I am proud of my fellow Dutchman

After reading many books for and against, ex-Calvinist Ronnie Rogers’ book “Does God Love All or Some” is the best yet at exposing the philosophical and exegetical problems of Calvinism.