Free Will, Determinism, and Apologetics (LIVE with Tim Stratton, 8:00pm Eastern Time)

David Wood and Tim Stratton will be LIVE at 8:00pm (Eastern Time) discussing free will, determinism, Molinism, Calvinism, and related issues.

Subscribe to Tim’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjoJHrgHyjBgOiSTxFT0Dag

#DavidWood #TimStratton #FreeWill

What a great duo, two big beasts!

Nice set up

If chance is, God is not.

If God is, chance is not.

Since God is, chance is not.

Greg is not talking about LFW. He is talking about compatibilism. so you can quote him but he doesnt agree with you.

what an absurd analogy. Mad scientist is not all powerful. God is. Epic failure. try again. Im surprised David did call out that bs.

Problem with Libertarian free will is it is NOT in the Bible. Jesus said no one can come to me unless drawn by the Father. We cant choose to follow Jesus without God first changing our hearts.

We are responsible for out actions of course.

﴿فَبِما نَقضِهِم ميثاقَهُم وَكُفرِهِم بِآياتِ اللَّهِ وَقَتلِهِمُ الأَنبِياءَ بِغَيرِ حَقٍّ وَقَولِهِم قُلوبُنا غُلفٌ بَل طَبَعَ اللَّهُ عَلَيها بِكُفرِهِم فَلا يُؤمِنونَ إِلّا قَليلًا﴾ [النساء: ١٥٥]
And [We cursed them] for their breaking of the covenant and their disbelief in the signs of Allāh and their killing of the prophets without right and their saying, “Our hearts are wrapped” [i.e., sealed against reception]. Rather, Allāh has sealed them because of their disbelief, so they believe not, except for a few.

• Saheeh International

﴿وَبِكُفرِهِم وَقَولِهِم عَلى مَريَمَ بُهتانًا عَظيمًا﴾ [النساء: ١٥٦]
And [We cursed them] for their disbelief and their saying against Mary a great slander

• Saheeh International

﴿وَقَولِهِم إِنّا قَتَلنَا المَسيحَ عيسَى ابنَ مَريَمَ رَسولَ اللَّهِ وَما قَتَلوهُ وَما صَلَبوهُ وَلكِن شُبِّهَ لَهُم وَإِنَّ الَّذينَ اختَلَفوا فيهِ لَفي شَكٍّ مِنهُ ما لَهُم بِهِ مِن عِلمٍ إِلَّا اتِّباعَ الظَّنِّ وَما قَتَلوهُ يَقينًا﴾ [النساء: ١٥٧]
And [for] their saying, “Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary, the messenger of Allāh.” And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

• Saheeh International

﴿بَل رَفَعَهُ اللَّهُ إِلَيهِ وَكانَ اللَّهُ عَزيزًا حَكيمًا﴾ [النساء: ١٥٨]
Rather, Allāh raised him to Himself. And ever is Allāh Exalted in Might and Wise.

• Saheeh International

﴿وَإِن مِن أَهلِ الكِتابِ إِلّا لَيُؤمِنَنَّ بِهِ قَبلَ مَوتِهِ وَيَومَ القِيامَةِ يَكونُ عَلَيهِم شَهيدًا﴾ [النساء: ١٥٩]
And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in him [i.e., Jesus] before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection he will be against them a witness.

• Saheeh International

﴿فَبِظُلمٍ مِنَ الَّذينَ هادوا حَرَّمنا عَلَيهِم طَيِّباتٍ أُحِلَّت لَهُم وَبِصَدِّهِم عَن سَبيلِ اللَّهِ كَثيرًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦٠]
For wrongdoing on the part of the Jews, We made unlawful for them [certain] good foods which had been lawful to them, and for their averting from the way of Allāh many [people],

• Saheeh International

﴿فَبِظُلمٍ مِنَ الَّذينَ هادوا حَرَّمنا عَلَيهِم طَيِّباتٍ أُحِلَّت لَهُم وَبِصَدِّهِم عَن سَبيلِ اللَّهِ كَثيرًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦٠]
For wrongdoing on the part of the Jews, We made unlawful for them [certain] good foods which had been lawful to them, and for their averting from the way of Allāh many [people],

• Saheeh International

﴿وَأَخذِهِمُ الرِّبا وَقَد نُهوا عَنهُ وَأَكلِهِم أَموالَ النّاسِ بِالباطِلِ وَأَعتَدنا لِلكافِرينَ مِنهُم عَذابًا أَليمًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦١]
And [for] their taking of usury while they had been forbidden from it, and their consuming of the people’s wealth unjustly. And We have prepared for the disbelievers among them a painful punishment.

• Saheeh International

﴿لكِنِ الرّاسِخونَ فِي العِلمِ مِنهُم وَالمُؤمِنونَ يُؤمِنونَ بِما أُنزِلَ إِلَيكَ وَما أُنزِلَ مِن قَبلِكَ وَالمُقيمينَ الصَّلاةَ وَالمُؤتونَ الزَّكاةَ وَالمُؤمِنونَ بِاللَّهِ وَاليَومِ الآخِرِ أُولئِكَ سَنُؤتيهِم أَجرًا عَظيمًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦٢]
But those firm in knowledge among them and the believers believe in what has been revealed to you, [O Muḥammad], and what was revealed before you. And the establishers of prayer [especially] and the givers of zakāh and the believers in Allāh and the Last Day - those We will give a great reward.

• Saheeh International

﴿إِنّا أَوحَينا إِلَيكَ كَما أَوحَينا إِلى نوحٍ وَالنَّبِيّينَ مِن بَعدِهِ وَأَوحَينا إِلى إِبراهيمَ وَإِسماعيلَ وَإِسحاقَ وَيَعقوبَ وَالأَسباطِ وَعيسى وَأَيّوبَ وَيونُسَ وَهارونَ وَسُلَيمانَ وَآتَينا داوودَ زَبورًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦٣]
Indeed, We have revealed to you, [O Muḥammad], as We revealed to Noah and the prophets after him. And We revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, the Descendants, Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the book [of Psalms].

• Saheeh International

﴿وَرُسُلًا قَد قَصَصناهُم عَلَيكَ مِن قَبلُ وَرُسُلًا لَم نَقصُصهُم عَلَيكَ وَكَلَّمَ اللَّهُ موسى تَكليمًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦٤]
And [We sent] messengers about whom We have related [their stories] to you before and messengers about whom We have not related to you. And Allāh spoke to Moses with [direct] speech.

• Saheeh International

﴿رُسُلًا مُبَشِّرينَ وَمُنذِرينَ لِئَلّا يَكونَ لِلنّاسِ عَلَى اللَّهِ حُجَّةٌ بَعدَ الرُّسُلِ وَكانَ اللَّهُ عَزيزًا حَكيمًا﴾ [النساء: ١٦٥]
[We sent] messengers as bringers of good tidings and warners so that mankind will have no argument against Allāh after the messengers. And ever is Allāh Exalted in Might and Wise.

• Saheeh International

Hi David and Tim.
I must say that I´m surprised by the way you present physical determinism David. Do naturalists really argue like that today? If I have understood it correctly that theory is completely outdated and has been for decades. It is based on newtonian physics. I suggest that you look up “Quantum indeterminacy” on Wikipedia. Best regards from Sweden.

PS
Please respond when/if you see this.
DS

Is there a distinction between “could not have done otherwise” and “could not have desired otherwise”? Someone could have the knowledge, skills, and opportunity to do something, but not the desire. Suppose someone had the knowledge, skills, and opportunity to play baseball on 5/1/2019, but he did not have the desire to play it on that day. Suppose he was determined to not play baseball. Does that fall under the “could not have done otherwise” category or the “could not have done otherwise” category?

There is a popular misconception that God changed his mind on Niniveh. But the Hebrew word used in the prophecies is, that Niniveh would be “turned upside down”. So it is wordplay. And Jonah actually knew what God meant as you will read at the end of the book. @Paul H.

To correct you and your guest. No open theist believes that God does not know the future. Open theists believe that God does not know the future exhaustively.

Regarding Bizzmann Gaming’s question: David! Get to the point man! Geez!! Also, not the best way to answer his emotionally loaded question :relaxed:

Quran copy

The Bible on the mat 19-23-24 “Let me tell you the truth,” Jesus said to his disciples, “The rich person will hardly enter the Kingdom of the Skies. 24 Let me say again that it is easier for the camel to go through the pinhole than the rich go under the Kingdom of God. ”

Quran A’raf 40 There are those who consider our verses unfounded, they grow up and turn away from them, and the gates of the sky will not open to them, and they will not enter heaven until the camel passes through the pinhole! That’s how we punish criminals

1 hour in, hardly any scripture exegeted, just one analogy after the next. How about teaching the bible? What does the bible say on the matter?

I would love to see Tim Stratton Exegete Romans 9…

sigh…when philosophers start butchering the bible with humanistic reasoning. So unbiblical…

David my Brother,
Why are you spending time on Youtube discussions whether one way is right vs another?
The CREATOR, JESUS knows all things, (1) of every outcome of an individual’s choices. (2) why postulate what this is? this only distracts our Brothers and Sisters from experiencing 1st hand the Truth, (3) Stop relying on your intellect to makes sense of anything, only a person living in the SPIRIT of the CREATOR/JESUS would experience the truth for themselves. This reminds me of a puzzle looking for the missing pieces, the issue is you haven’t the missing pieces yet, so how could you ever see the full picture?
How could anyone live in Faith when the puzzle is incomplete…for now?
Love Always - Forever,
Your Brother
D.

RE: defining terms: Denis Prager’s motto is “strive not for winning but for clarity” .

That’s why ‘servant of sin’ is correct, ‘slave of sin’ not!