Is Muhammad the Prophet Like Moses in Deuteronomy 18:18? A Reply to Zakir Naik

According to Zakir Naik, Muhammad was prophesied in Deuteronomy 18:18, where God said that He would send another prophet like Moses. However, a careful examination of the text shows not only that Muhammad isn’t the prophet referred to in Deuteronomy 18, but also that Muhammad can’t be a prophet at all!

DEUTERONOMY 18
18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

• AMONG THEIR (israelties) BRETHREN mean descendant of ishmael, not from Israel.
  • LIKE UNTO THEE (Moses), who is the prophet like moses more than Mohammed ???
  • Moses & Mohammed Born from normal Father and Mother. Jesus father is God According to Christian, So Jesus not like Moses
  • Moses & Mohammed Born as a normal human. Jesus born through miracles, So Jesus not like Moses
  • Moses & Mohammed are Prophet, but Jesus are God, So Jesus not like Moses
  • Moses & Mohammed marry, Jesus not, So Jesus not like Moses
  • Moses & Mohammed rejected by people, fighting, migrating at the end the people accept them, Jesus even all 12 disciples runaway while he was crucified. So Jesus not like Moses
  • Mohammed & Moses bring new law, Jesus only fulfill the law of torah. So Jesus not like Moses
  • Moses & Mohammed normally death, Jesus got crucified. So Jesus not like Moses
  • Moses & Mohammed buried in earth, Kesus now in heaven. So Jesus not like Moses
  • I PUT MY WORD INTO HIS MOUTH Mohammed was illiterate (Isaiah 29:12), the revelation Quran is something strange, never mohammed said it before, God PUT INTO HIS MOUTH,
  • HE SHALL SPEAK UNTO THEM, THAT I SHALL COMMAND HIM
    Anytime after Mohammed got revelation, he spread all the message to the people, some people memorize & put into writing, like fragment Suraa ThaHa in Birmingham. And if any LAW/COMMAND from the revelation Mohammed made it happened to the people immediately, e.g. Prohibition of drinking, wearing hijab, changing direction of pray, etc …

19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

• HE SHALL SPEAK IN MY NAME
    “Bismillahirrahmanirrahim” in every Suraa of Quran, means : “IN THE NAME OF ALLAH (God) …” while christian speaks IN THE NAME OF JESUS.
  • I WILL REQUIRE IT OF HIM !!!
    God himself threatening u people if not follow that prophet.

Deuteronomy, Chapter 18:

“I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.” (Deuteronomy 18:18-19)

Here Moses is addressing the Children of Israel. He quotes Jehovah as telling him of the coming of a Prophet.

The marks for recognizing the coming prophet would be as follows:

1. He would be from among the brethren of the Children of Israel.

2. He would be like Moses.

3. He would speak words and commands put in his mouth by God.

4. He would speak in God’s name.

If you examine the above details of the distinguishing traits of the foretold prophet and those of Muhammad (peace be upon him) who was born centuries after this prophecy, you will be surprised to learn of the striking similarities.

Jesus or Muhammad?

Here one may also consider the Christian argument that the above prophecy is about Jesus.

So we need to examine who is actually meant here, with reference to the details of the prophecy.

1. It is clearly mentioned that the coming prophet would be from ‘their brethren’, i.e. from the brethren of the Children of Israel.

We know that Jesus was one of the Children of Israel and so it is clear that the prophecy does not apply to him.

Whereas Muhammad (peace be upon him) was born in the family of Ishmael; indeed his grandfather was Qaidar (Biblical name: Kedar), one of the twelve sons of Ishmael.

1. Of the two prophets (i.e. Jesus and Muhammad) one is mentioned to be like Moses.

In fact, it is Prophet Muhammad who is really like Moses, and not Jesus.

For instance, Jesus was born miraculously without a father; he did not marry and lead a family life; his mission was very short (three years at the most); and God raised him unto Himself when he faced the possibility of violent death at the hands of his enemies. (Christians believe that he was crucified).

And so, we find that Jesus did not have the time to realize the dream of establishing a society based on the principles he taught. Indeed, he had declared that his mission was for ‘the lost sheep of the house of Israel’ (Matthew 15:24), and not for the whole of humanity.

Prophet Muhammad’s Mission

Compare the above with the mission of Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Like Moses, he had a father and mother; he married and led a family life; his mission was long like that of Moses; he died a natural death; and he brought a Law (Shari`ah) for the establishment of a social system, like Moses.

It is also worth emphasizing that at the end of the Book of Deuteronomy, the following is clearly stated:

“And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, in all the signs and the wonders, which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land, and in all that mighty hand…” (Deuteronomy 34:10-12)

This makes it clear that there never was a prophet like Moses in the whole of Israel after Moses, according to the Bible.

Thus, we can clearly see that between the two, it was Muhammad from the brethren of the Children of Israel, who could be called, “a Prophet like Moses”.

And Allah knows best.

Muslims claim our Bible is “corrupt” and then use the Bible to try and prove their religion. LOLOLOL

Just a misunderstanding of the bible will lead you astray

Jesus came from judas…
And moses came from levi’s…
So how its possible…

“Peace be upon him” should be followed by a punch to the speaker’s face.

mohammad never prophesied anything and never performed one miracle. His convenient revelations were made up to satisfy his own desires. If there ever was a con artist, mohammad was it. If mohammad were alive today, he would be a car salesman.

Jesus is a prophet of God, Allaah​:heart::heart::heart: The Almighty. Soon the world will know The Truth about Allaah​:heart::heart::heart:, The Almighty. Soon the world will know Islaam is The Only Truth. The last prophet is yet to come. Very soon.

Hahaha lol chirstans. Sometime you say jesus is God and now your are trying to prove him as prophet… What’s the matter​:joy::joy:
You can do anything to defame our holy prophet Muhammad pubh but you will fail at the end​:-1::-1:

Deut 18 v 20 proves Muhammad is a false prophet and has caused many millions to reject ’ the only saviour ’ adoni yeshua haimashiah ’ ie jesus christ

Sadly as I do more research, the o nly refute Islam can offer is that this fabrication of Muhammad is false. I understand the gospel of Christ was not initially accepted and still has its critics. Islam is trying to gain validity by numbers, popularity, and comparing to Jesus. I guess we won’t truly win until we take up our cross daily; the message of the kingdom.

Jesus PBUH is no more a begotten son of god.:joy: The word begotten has removed from revised standard version of your Bible. And I am the way, the truth and light… what you found so strange in this varse…? Every messengers were the way, the truth and light. No man could go to the God except by following the teachings of profets. Where jesus claimed himself as a God?
Moreover the word bible is not in your bible. The word christianity is not available anywhere any versions of your bible. Jesus PBUH said in Bible " I can of my ownself do
nothing ,as I hear I speak… and so on…" and also Jesus PBUH said in Bible "my father is greater than I, my father is greater than all " so you guys are like blind. Can’t you see from your bible he was nothing other than a messenger . he was a prophet of god. Like all other prophets before.

:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:Deuteronomy 18:18 NET
I will raise up a prophet like you for them from among
:point_right:t6::point_right:t6:their fellow Israelites.:point_left:t6::point_left:t6:
I will put my words in his mouth and he will speak to them whatever I command.

Muhammad is prophet of satan

these sayings from altabari are lies of course Tabari was gathering all sorts of supposedly narrations by prophet Mohammad but more than sixty percent of which are said by the fabricators who invented these to undermine Islam and prophet classified as weak narrations
besides the Quran itself is a living miracle untill the day of judgment i will give you some examples
God says in Quran i have created the universe and iam expanding it which has been discovered in this century by science the expansion of universe also God swears by the positions of the stars if Mohammad was the auther he would say the stars what the science discovered recently that what we see in the sky is not the stars but thier positions millions of light years ago and the actual stars are some where else since it takes millions of light years for the rays to get to us since then the stars are somewhere else how did Mohammad know this 1400 years ago. The bees have sixteen chromosoms and the number of the chapter named the bees and talks about bees is no 16 what is this coincidence or is it planned by greater power
come on guys be fair open your eyes not just your mouths.
there are hundreds of things in the Quran which prove that it can only be from God beyond any doubt
If any one wants to discuss this and get more miracles I am available

Bro should I debunk this lol

If Jesus is the ultimate fulfillment of Deuteronomy 18 then why does it seem that Peter the disciple in Acts 3:19-23 (which is after Jesus), seem to think that it is yet to come when he quoted Deuteronomy 18?

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. For Moses said, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from their people.

I could be wrong but doesn’t Prophet Muhammad fit both criteria?

1. He performed the miracle of splitting the moon in Quran 54.1-2
  2. He spoke to God on the Israa wal Miraaj directly.

Someone pls tell me

Tabari vol 6 p111 is a weak argument as he was a historian not a muhadith which is someone who would authenticate the hadith which was weak.