Muhammad and Suicide in Early Muslim Writings

This video is a brief discussion of two interesting passages from two important Islamic sources (Ibn Ishaq and Sahih al-Bukhari). Here are the passages:

Ibn Ishaq, p. 106—[Muhammad said,] "So I read it, and he departed from me. And I awoke from my sleep, and it was as though these words were written on my heart. (T. Now none of God’s creatures was more hateful to me than an (ecstatic) poet or a man possessed: I could not even look at them. I thought, Woe is me poet or possessed—Never shall Quraysh say this of me! I will go to the top of the mountain and throw myself down that I may kill myself and gain rest. So I went forth to do so and then) when I was midway on the mountain, I heard a voice from heaven saying, “O Muhammad! thou art the apostle of God and I am Gabriel.”

Sahih al-Bukhari 6982— . . . But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine Revelation was also paused for a while and the Prophet became so sad as we have heard that he intended several times to throw himself from the tops of high mountains and everytime he went up to the top of a mountain in order to throw himself down, Jibril would appear before him and say, “O Muhammad! You are indeed Allah’s Messenger in truth”, whereupon his heart would become quiet and he would calm down and would return home. And whenever the period of the coming of the Revelation used to become long, he would do as before, but when he used to reach the top of a mountain, Jibril would appear before him and say to him what he had said before.

This is not true. The Narrator himself didnt mention the other narrator

Great teaching.God bless you :heart:

|What did you guys contradict yourselves? The guy right next to you added something interesting he said “If Mohammad were a true prophet then he would be comforted by Gabriel, Gabriel would tell him not to be afraid just like the way he told Mary.” Then David Wood continued on the story of Mohammad trying to kill himself and he said that Gabriel kept on comforting him that he is indeed the true prophet!

The second contradiction is that being amazed by Mohammad trying to kill himself while knowing that when he first met Gabriel he was scared to death, to a point where he ran away to his wife and told her to cover him so he can calm down. If you believe the fact that he ran to his wife full of fear why is it too hard for you to believe that he has been in a lot of hardships as a shock from receiving Gabriel?

His wives garments? Throw himself off a cliff? Sucking little boys tongues? Do you think muhammad was trying to tell us something?

Foolishness is dangerous…

Christians live in a fairytale world where jesus is a semi god like hercules

learn history you foolish idiots

mate the narration is weak not authentic. Your not even educated enough at all about islam to be even ready for the answer

I’ve heard two explanations from Muslims: 1. This is a misinterpretation; he didn’t try to kill himself and 2. It means that he was saved by Gabriel from killing himself; that proves he was a prophet. After all, Jesus also was saved from jumping off a cliff. I’ve also heard that Muhammad wasn’t trying to kill himself because he was afraid he had been possessed; he was distraught because the revelations had become less and less and he thought he had been abandoned by God.
Well, to be accurate: The Qu’ran is suppose to be the pure word of Allah, who protected it from corruption. How can it be misinterpreted? If he was distraught, then he had very little faith. How could he think that God had abandoned him? A regular person might, but the greatest and final prophet? And if he’s trying to kill himself to get away from God, doesn’t he know that won’t work? Death is no escape from an all powerful deity, right? Jesus was NOT the one who wanted to kill himself. He was challenged by the Devil who told him that God’s angels would save him if he jumped. Jesus rejected the challenge, stating that God was not to be tested. Conversely, Muhammad was the one who wanted to jump and some spirit told him not to do it. If God’s angel was saving him, why the repeated attempts? Why would Muhammad continually have the desire to kill himself? Was he being tested? Maybe but then that doesn’t explain how Muhammad adopted terror as a way of ruling.
Note: These are questions. That’s it. I’m not insulting or being critical. I’m asking questions. Please note that I’ve actually read Islamic texts and TALKED to Muslims seeking the answers because I didn’t want to just make assumptions based on what I’d heard or been told. Therefore, I wanted to know. That shows respect.

I think Islamic jibreel (satan) was giving promise to muhammad to give him women power and sex just to stop muhammad doing suicide mode

Thanks for the new videos, Dave. Keep up the good work

Muhammad never excised… Spencer makes a great case for this fact… Muhammad was more like a title than a name…

A Coward, not a prophet.

It’s so obvious that Muhammad was demonically influenced, of not outright possessed. Simply reading Islamic texts themselves will show that to you!

And yet Muslims continue to follow this tormented and wicked man and participate in his death cult.

I find that incomprehensible.

Just more proof that muhammed was a false prophet and allah is not God.

Yes!! First to comment!!

@Qui Creva Sp that is what he said

@Qui Creva Sp precisely

Your pic says it all

Have you read 2nd Thessalonians 2? It talks about how God will give people over to “strong delusion” so that they shall believe a lie over truth, but read it in context for full understanding.

@Jim Wilson
So a loving god will cause you to believe a lie?
That’s not comforting either.