Slavery in the Old Testament: A Misunderstood Ethic (Anthony Uvenio and Nick Mitchell)

Despite the fact that the Apostle Paul’s declaration that “there is no favoritism” with God (Ephesians 6:9) and that “there is neither slave nor free” (Galatians 3:28) ultimately undermined global slavery, critics of Christianity often claim that the Bible promotes slavery. In this lecture, Anthony Uvenio and Nick Mitchell of New York Apologetics examine some Old Testament passages dealing with slavery.

Slavery is sin.

Just think of the amount of suffering that would’ve been prevented had the Bible only said, “Thou shalt not own slaves.” Just five little words would’ve made such a difference.

chattel slavery was not based on race. there were more white slaves through history than black. the word “slave” is an anglicized version of “slav” because the Slavic peoples became synonymous with slavery for many decades. there were white slaves in America before black slaves. this idea that slavery was racial is one of the common lies that keeps racism alive.

2019 anyone?

Do Islamic slavery next! It makes pre civil war slavery look like day care

Leviticus 25; 44-46 “Your male and female slaves are to come from
the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy
some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their
clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can
bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them
slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites
ruthlessly”. Praise God

I am Christian but i don’t like that you lie. Alot of the things you say go against exodus 21 wich makes the laws of slavery very clear. For an example you say that slavery was voluntary and a payment of your depths for an example a daugther could be sold against her will for her fathers depths and never be alowed to have freedom.

when uvenio came to the podium i thought he was ted cruz.

Slavery in the South was good.

Lev 25:44-46 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

Where are the scriptures to back up his thinking here? I need you to point them out to me.

Exodus 21:20 New International Version “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result. but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property." This video is 100% pure Bull!

Exodus 21:7 “When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do." This sounds like a good idea to me. Who wants to sell me your daughter?

Wow defending a slave supporting god

Thanks, Guys,
Wonderful lecture

This video is not a condemnation of slavery, it’s a justification. Basically: “Slavery isn’t wrong, it’s just not as bad as the heathens say it is.” There’s also genocide in the bible, do we address that in the same manner? Is slavery owning another human being as property? Is owning another human being moral? That is, is having the right to self determination and self-ownership (owning your own being) a moral principle? If a person is to have self determination and free will, they cannot be a slave or owned by others. They are mutually exclusive. If someone owes me a debt, I do not own them as property. That’s ridiculous.

I’m also not sure if enslavement of heathens has been left out on purpose or not, or if the presentation was specifically about slavery among fellow believers, as the enslavement of heathens was definitely a worse conduct.

I think there is more to the stories than those who take it literally can see. I’ll wait for Jordan Peterson’s take on it. I’ve been enjoying his biblical series.

What a non-sense! Dont compare it to other slavery just judge it as it is defined in the Bible. Something is not good because there is worse.
Exodus: 21:21"If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.…
His property is the keyword.

This is totally disrespectful to the Jewish people.

LOL this was funny. I would love to debate these 2 about slavery in the Bible and those verses?

What perhaps made slavery continue in Christendom was exactly this Whitewashing of Bible-the Bible or Jesus couldnt say something Bad or evil or wrong- so ergo slavery is cool and God is cool with it.How can something Jesus and prophets in bible said God has ‘Regulated’ and explained how it must be done be Bad or evil? It is this exalted status to a very morally outdated book that caused so much misery.Finally a million people had to fight and die over it and get it abolished.It would have been easier if there was just a very clear Big No in the Bible- “Thou Shall Not own a fellow Human brother or sister nor sell nor buy”.That seemed to never occur to this boo boo God who thinks attending church on Saturday is more important or not worshiping his rival Brand gods in the canaan and buy only Him.Paul is something of character to make an apologia- he clearly encouraged slavery by telling Christians that by obeying and serving their masters they partake in their holiness! Holy slaves! God’s Laws were already found very inconvenient and irrelevant by Paul’s time that it were jettisoned by his followers.Pual could have easily said Slavery is Bad idea in his New Covenant- but he didnt.The christian slave trade flourished later exactly because of this blind belief that Bible or church could do no wrong.Get over it.