What Is Molinism? (William Lane Craig)

http://acts17.net
Molinism (a theological position named after 16th century Jesuit theologian Luis de Molina), is an increasingly popular model for reconciling God’s sovereignty and providence with human freedom and choice. Molinists maintain that God knows what we would do in counterfactual situations (middle knowledge), and that God uses this knowledge to accomplish his goals. In this video, William Lane Craig explains the doctrine.

I don’t know if Old Testament understanding of sovereignty is in view here. Middle Ages theology and Greek thought has no interpretative value to me.

Hmm interesting for years I have been unhappy with the Calvinist or Arminian debate and everyone saying it has to be one of the other. Maybe I’ve been a molinist for years without knowing it was a thing

I like Molinism because it’s Mathematical, I don’t know if it’s true though.

Isn’t Molinism what Don Quijote practice? Attacking Wind Mills? Molinos?

And yet he denies the historical Adam. Yep…

I mean…this is straight out of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This is what we’ve been saying for 2000 years and yall are just now getting it?

So the Catholics were right all along, and we are just playing catch up. Better later than never. Great video, btw.

Dr. James White recently had his discussion with Dr. Craig on this very topic. He does object and instead argues that the position of reformed theology better deals with the problems molinism seeks to solve.

Highly encourage you check it out!

1:34, 1:53 - middle knowledge

2:56 - example of subjunctive conditional

Awesome dudes

I don’t understand what Lane thinks a free choice is? Since he seems to think of these are choices we all would make, absent of the sort of any environmental influences

I think Molinism makes total sense. However, I don’t see how it really goes against the idea that God preordained these things to happen. By his own knowledge he knew it would happen and chose to let them happen. And he intervenes where he sees fit.

Just because ordains it doesn’t mean it’s not still us doing what we want. If I saw my daughter sneak out and knew she was going to a party and didn’t stop her I would not have done anything to her freedom.

I disagree but then I don’t think it’s that important to be honest

If God puts people in a situation knowing the outcome how is that any different than outright predestination? He still makes some to go to hell and heaven but now He is just one step back.

Both of you are my top fav. Apologists

This provides us only with the illusion of choice. It was settled before time began by God and not us. There is “will” in this theory but it is not a free one. It is preordained and calculated like a math problem. If our will is calculatable like this, then it logically follows that it isnt free. Moreover, God designed the external forces that dictate his ability to know which choices we will make. So in this theory he has basically made our choices for us, before time began. This kind of makes it seem like the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus was actually not the legitimate sacrifice that brings people to heaven. The ultimate sacrifice is all of those beings that are predestined to go to hell, in order for God’s “Best case scenario” universe to come into full effect. Those beings didnt have a choice in the matter, because it was decided before they existed.

• This is not to say that I believe any of this.

No reason to think God knows everything in advance. Not only is it not biblical…it would make everything incredibly boring for God.

How tall are you David?

Rationalist